Saturday, August 16, 2008

Students, Students Everywhere!




The title of this blog post will perhaps be a little misleading because our students don't physically come back to school until Monday, August 25th, we still have a week of various in-service days and preparation, but after yesterday I think the title is appropriate.

We have just gone to an 8 period day from a 7 period day for this year and while getting all the classes and sections for my classes this year it looks that I will have students hanging from the rafters!

I will be offering 5, yes count 'em, 5 different classes this year.

Zero hour - Online Medical Terminology
1st & 2nd - Health Science Technology 2, CNA Certification and Clinical Rotations
3rd - Conference
4th - Introduction to Health Science Technology
5th - Introduction to Health Science Technology
6th - Health Science Technology 1
7th - Health Science Technology 1
8th - Introduction to Health Science Technology


Our HSTE Program has seen a tremendous growth this year. The result was that each of those classes will have 30 - 35 students each! Wow! We will have a great group of students to start the HSTE Project off with!

I guess that I am just have to stop doing such a good job of recruiting new students to our HSTE program. Actually I am very excited to have so many students interested enough to take my classes. I am actually awed by the numbers and am wondering how I will keep 30 - 35 students engaged. Well this was one of the main reasons that I wanted to start the HSTE Project so I guess there is no better way to find out if the HSTE Project will work than a baptism under fire.

I had a chance to look at the enrollment in the Health Science Technology 1 classes and they appeared, if I remember right, to be at about 25- 30 students each, and the HSTE 2 class had 24 students, although some of those will shift to the HSTE 3 EMT-Basic class after school starts.

My plate is going to be full this year. This will be the first time that we have offered an EMT-Basic class as well as this is the year that we will launch this, The HSTE Project. To say it will be challenging, exciting and hectic I think would be an understatement.

I am very happy to announce that Mrs. Kelli Moulton, our Superintendent has joined our HSTE Project Ning. Ms. Moulton is our new Superintendent, having spent the past 5 or 6 years, if I am not mistaken, as our Assistant Superintendent.

The HSTE Project Ning has been shared on a very limited basis so far. I purposely wanted to get permission from my CT&E Director, Mrs. Delozier and our principal, Mr. Sauceda, and Mrs. Moulton, before I really started to invite many people to become HSTE Partners and join the Ning.

I wanted just to get this Ning started with a few Key individuals like my friend and fellow EMS Educator Eric Lynn before inviting more individuals. When the students come to class, one of their first assignments will be to join the Ning and the HSTE Project Wikispace. Then after they have started collaborating with each other on the Ning and have had a chance to get familiar with the "look and feel" of the Ning by uploading small projects such as pictures and videos, then I want to start inviting more Health Care Providers like Ms. San Juanita Ramirez to particiapte. Not only is Ms. Ramirez a Respiratory Therapist at the Hereford Regional Medical Center but she is also the parent of one of my HSTE students.

So, this has been a longer post than I had anticipated when I sat down a little while ago to write, but as it sometimes happens when you start writing you just can't stop.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: